Thursday, January 20, 2011

Help...

First of all, here are some recent belly pics...

23 weeks



24 weeks


Ok, so I need some advice.  We are working on our registry and have been researching a lot of products.  I have found all of the baby gear that I think we need but I want to make sure we get the right stuff.  I am carefully (and slowly) adding things to the registry after reading all of the reviews.  I am hoping some people can let me in on any information or secrets you may have about any baby products.  What did you use?  What have you liked/disliked about any baby products?  What do you know about certain products and their features?  Do you know anybody or anyplace I can get some nice but gently used items?  (We have been frequent visitors of Craigslist and Once Upon A Child :) What would you recommend for this first time Mama?  These are some of the things I am looking for some insider secrets on...



Diapers/wipes-certain brand that you prefer?

Diaper Genie/pail-any that actually work that don't charge like crazy for refill bags?

Carrier/sling-are there any out there that won't hurt my back?

Pump-manual vs. electric?  I'm thinking double.  Is it worth buying one brand new? 

Books-What was your favorite book as a child? Your children's favorite?

Clothing-sleepers vs. gowns, etc.

Any information you would like to share with me would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Diapers: We use Target brand and love them! I wish we would have thought to use generic diapers with our first, duh! :) (We tried Walmart but definitely didn't like them as much.) Wipes: Walmart brand, LOVE them. They seem a lot thicker than Pampers and Huggies, plus cheaper can't go wrong.

    We never got ny kind of diaper pail, we just use a smaller pop top garbage can and change it every couple of days. I think there is a couple out there that use regular bags maybe? I have hear buying refills can get expensive. ??

    I never used a sling with my first 2 (besides a Baby Bjorn...which I loved) but I am definitely going to this time. I have a few already but can't tell you how well they work yet. :)

    DOUBLE ELECTRIC PUMP!! Worth every penny, even if you buy brand new and especially if you plan on having more kids. Get a nice good one that will last. Have you checked Ebay or Amazon? Definitely a must must must! :)

    Oh and my other breast feeding must is a nursing cover, I have a couple and love them. Udder Cover is actually having a free deal going on right now, not sure how long though. http://www.uddercovers.com/ the promo code to enter is "onefree" and all you have to do is pay shipping.

    We usually swaddled for the first couple of months at night then we switched to the bag zip up sleepers, so nice at night time changings. :)

    Books: Lots and lots of them! :) We read to our kids all the time and they love it.

    I already told you about the Angelcare monitor...my #1 mommy must! :) (Did I say you can get it at Babies R Us?)

    Definitely register for a swing, they are a lifesaver! Both of our kids went through phases where they would pretty much only sleep in there or be calmed by it. I have heard many other people say the same thing.

    Make sure the infant carseat you get has a pull thingy in front to tighten the straps versus having to mess around with them in the back. (Not sure if they even make those anymore...they shouldn't! The first one we had was like that and it was such a pain we went and bought a new one. It was one that came as a "travel system" with a stroller.)

    Okay, I'm tired and I can't think of anymore but if I do I will let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Registering. The fun part.

    I am a huge fan of LUVs and Target diapers. Cheap and they get the job done. I liked using Pampers Swaddlers when my babies were teeny tiny. They feel softer and a newborns skin is so delicate. I switched to the inexpensive ones when they were 2 months old. As far as wipes, I used to use Target brand, but I found them to be really thin so I ultimately used more of them. My favorite now are Huggies Natural Care. No alcohol and very thick. I have heard that the Costco brand is wonderful, too.

    I never used a fancy diaper pail. Just a garbage can with a lid, and I took it out often. Anyone that I have EVER talked to said the the diaper genie wasn't worth it, and not to bother with one.

    I have used a Bjorn and a Maya ring sling. The sling works well with newborns (keeps them nice and cozy). I bought both of mine used.

    As far as pumps go- Medela double electric is a necessity. It's the BEST brand and a double is most effective and most efficient. I pumped for 11 months, numerous times a day, for twins and mine never once had an issue. I purchased it off of Craigslist from a woman who hated pumping and only used it for a week. Of course, I bought all new parts. Get a hands-free pump bra so you can flip through a magazine or book instead of holding up pump cones. Makes a world of difference.

    My favorite books are "Goodnight Moon" and any of the Eric Carle books. If you are looking at starting a small collection just look to the Dollar section at Target. They are cheap, cardboard and my kids seem to love them. They come out with new ones all the time.

    For the first few months all I used were gowns and onesies. No fancy outfits for us, unless we were heading out for a visit. I swaddled my boys for every nap and each night until they were 6 months old. I swear by swaddling!! Check out Aden and Anais muslin blankets. They are amazing. You can use them in lots of ways, even as a nursing cover. I switched to Halo sleep sacks when they were out of the swaddling stage.

    My biggest advice is to buy whatever you can used. We saved so much money that way. It ridiculous how quickly babies outgrow toys, clothes, all of it.
    My other advice is to either start buying diapers now, or at least get a $20 dollar gift card each time you go to the store. Money will get tight when you start paying for daycare, diapers, and all the other little stuff that goes with babies. That gift card stash helps out so much.

    ReplyDelete